5 simple steps to establish a US bank account
When you open a bank account online or in-person, you will need to provide the bank, credit union, or financial institution with specific documentation which meets their eligibility requirements.
Certain types of accounts, such as saving accounts, joint accounts, or certificates of deposits (CD) have a minimum age or other additional specifications.
What do I need to open a US bank account?
- Two forms of government-issued photo identification, such as a valid driver’s license, passport or student ID
- A social security number or individual taxpayer identification number
- A utility bill with current address information
- Contact information such as name, address, and phone number
- Student checking accounts may require proof of enrollment in an eligible school, such as a student ID or an acceptance letter.
- If the bank has a minimum deposit requirement, you may need to provide this when applying.
How to open a bank account
You can open a bank account by following these simple steps:
- Select a bank after making sure to consider the features, benefits, ATM access, and account types, as well as any applicable monthly fees.
- Confirm the bank or credit union’s eligibility and age requirements for opening a savings or checking account.
- Visit a local branch or access their online site to learn more about the terms and conditions.
- Choose the preferred accounts for you, such as checking, savings, or both.
- Read all the information provided thoroughly. Once approved, request a debit card.
Start sending money with Paysend within minutes, with most of our transfers completing in close to real-time! You may also read about how to easily transfer money to USA online!
*Standard data rates from your wireless service provider may apply.